Sunday, January 29, 2012

Seven surprising lessons from dead poets about blogging

For the past four weeks my blog posts have focused on one theme: engaging with those poetic giants who have hovered over my reading life for the past few decades and have provided enormous shoulders on which to balance my own meager efforts in the writing craft. 

This week I decided to take a break from the conversation and reflect.  Several ideas have started to take shape and a few practical lessons have emerged. I share them with you now.

  1. It is easier to write more frequently with a consistent theme than less frequently on a whim.
  2. I cannot fully know what I know about any given thing until I write about it.
  3. Many reviewers are useful; one trusted editor is priceless.
  4. Tweeting more than once about a new blog post is not nagging or bragging.
  5. The discipline of poetry reinforces the value of concision.
  6. Poetry is dialog: No one writes in a vacuum.
  7. The imprint of the Creator is everywhere.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! As to #2, Augustine once said, "I am the sort of man who writes because he has made progress, and who makes progress - by writing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote, Doug! You can't go too far wrong with Augustine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete