Sunday, November 8, 2009

Stewardship

These days I've been thinking a bit about things: buying things, owning things, maintaining things, sorting things, keeping things clean, sharing things, giving things away. It's rather exhausting, this "Thing Maintenance." Seems like so much of life falls into one of these actions associated with things. Perhaps that's all a part of a bigger Thing we generally call "stewardship."

According to the dictionary, a steward is "a person who manages another's property or financial affairs; one who administers anything as the agent of another or others." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stewardship) Hmmm... that's illuminating.

So, here's my take. If I'm a good steward in the context of stuff I generally label "mine," I'm actually recognizing that none of it is really mine, just on loan. And even more, if I'm a good steward, I'm keeping up this property belonging to *another* in such a way that it is in even better shape than when it was first loaned to me.

Ah... well, then I better get cleaning house. But I think I'll take a nap first.

No comments:

Post a Comment